Why will Catholic voters very likely determine the winner of the presidential election in 2012?
In presidential elections the winner of the Catholic vote usually wins the national popular vote, the electoral college and the presidency.
Below are the winners of the Catholic vote from the past sixteen presidential elections with the approximate percentage they received (source: George J. Marlin and Michael Barone, American Catholic Voter: Two Hundred Years Of Political Impact (2006.)
1. 1948 – Harry Truman won the Catholic vote 65%-35%
2. *1952 – Adlai Stevenson won the Catholic vote 51%-49%
3. 1956 – Dwight D. Eisenhower won the Catholic vote 55%-45%
4. 1960 – John F. Kennedy won the Catholic vote 82%-18%
5. 1964 – Lyndon B. Johnson won the Catholic vote 78%-22%
6. *1968 – Hubert Humphrey won the Catholic vote 55%-37%
7. 1972 – Richard Nixon won the Catholic vote 63%-37%
8. 1976 – Jimmy Carter won the Catholic vote 56%-44%
9. 1980 – Ronald Reagan won the Catholic vote 50%-47%
10. 1984 – Ronald Reagan won the Catholic vote 56%-46%
11. *1988 – Michael Dukakis won the Catholic vote 52%-48%
12. 1992 – Bill Clinton won the Catholic vote 44%-35% (Bush),20% (Perot)
13. 1996 – Bill Clinton won the Catholic vote 53%-37% (Dole), 9% (Perot)
14. *2000 – Al Gore won the Catholic vote 50%-47%
15. 2004 – George W. Bush won the Catholic vote 52%-47%
16. 2008 – Barack Obama won the Catholic vote 54%-45%
* Note: Exceptions were in 1952, 1968, 1988 and 2000.
These statistics show the obvious importance of winning the Catholic vote in 2012. Here are some major issues of our time in the American political sphere; abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, manipulation of the poor, same-sex marriage, violations of conscience, violations of religious liberty, manipulation of the economy, centralized planning, collectivism, socialism, repression of thought and class warfare.
How does President Obama and Catholicism align on the above issues?
• President Obama ACCEPTS them
• Catholicism REJECTS them
The rejection of these issues can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) and Pope Leo XIII’s, Rerum Novarum paragraph 19. The following graphic illustrates where these issues can be found in the Catechism:
The incompatibility of Catholic teaching with Barack Obama’s positions seems so obvious due to so many contradictory positions that it is perplexing that the Catholic vote could reach or exceed 50% for Obama.
So, why do Catholics consider voting for Obama?
1. False “community organizations” have manipulated too many Catholics to not know the difference between “socialism” and “social justice” by teaching them that private property can be involuntarily redistributed by the government/political authority. Catholicism believes in “voluntary” distribution because the involuntary action is totalitarian and atheistic, as taught by the Church’s rejection of centralized planning/socialism. For a an accurate reading on “social Justice’ click on Social Justice: Not What You Think It Is.
2. Because Catholic Democrat leaders and others have manipulated Catholic Social Teaching’s (CST) terminology to be euphemisms for socialism. Thus, manipulating Catholic voters to accept socialistic views as Catholic views and thus make them comfortable enough to vote contrary to their conscience and the truth. They also abuse Church teaching on the death penalty. Ignoring that the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty in CCC 2267. See Catholic Democrats, The Catholic Case for Obama.
3. Catholics loyal to and inside the Democratic Party have made plans to use terminology associated with CST in order to manipulate the issues of abortion, war, same-sex marriage, immigration reform, etc. These CST terms are; “Human dignity”, “common good”, “social justice” and “just war.” They will also manipulate the following terms common to Catholics; justice, pro-life, preferential option for the poor, care for the environment, etc. The Democrats use of these terms confuses many Catholics, causing them to vote contrary to their conscience. See Left at the Altar: How the Democrats Lost the Catholics and How the Catholics Can Save the Democrats by Michael Sean Winters. See video of interview with Michael Sean Winters about his book at the “Rumi Forum.” Winters starts talking about his book at minute 5:40:
What can you do?
Tell Catholics about the misuse of the terminology of Catholic Social Teaching (“human dignity,” “common good,” “social justice,” “justice” and “just war”) and how Barack Obama and his allies manipulate it (For example he/they says that ObamaCare and the HHS mandate promote the “common good.”) This will have the resultant effect of a majority of Catholics voting a true Catholic conscience in 2012.
O Holy Spirit, strengthen us to defend all that is holy.
Peter L. Hodges Sr.