Community organizations that practice socialism are in several Catholic dioceses and churches across the U.S. Below are six national organizations that each have chapters/affiliates in several states. They must be extricated from Catholic dioceses where they exist. Are their chapters/affiliates in your diocese? Does your parish church support one of these chapters/affiliates?
Who are they? How many states are they in?
1. Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) (The IAF was founded by Saul Alinsky. The following groups numbered 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are nationwide spinoffs of the IAF) (21 states) www.industrialareasfoundation.org
2. Gamaliel (17 states) www.gamaliel.org
3. People Improving Communities through Organizing (PICO) (17 states) www.piconetwork.org
4. Direct Action & Research Training (DART) (5 states) www.thedartcenter.org
5. Interfaith Worker Justice (IWJ) (28 states) www.iwj.org
6. USAction (sometimes referred to as Citizen Action) (22 states) www.usaction.org
Some of the above community organizations are being funded with grants from entities like the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) which is a department of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB.) The CCHD is funded through an annual “second” collection scheduled for one weekend in November 2011 in Catholic dioceses.
The CCHD previously funded A.C.O.R.N. So, we must continue to watch to whom they grant our contributions.
Activists and politicians who participate in the above listed community organizations have been and are planning to use terminology associated with Catholic Social Teaching in order to manipulate the issues of abortion, the war in Iraq, homosexual marriage, immigration reform, etc. These terms are; “human dignity”, “common good”, and “just war.” They will also use the following terms common to Catholics; justice, social justice, pro-life, preferential option for the poor, environment/conservation, etc. Their use of these terms are meant to confuse Catholics to win us over to their thinking. Be aware of their use of these terms and know that they are only euphemisms for socialism when spoken by these people.
The Church teaches that “Regulating the economy solely by centralized planning perverts the basis of social bonds…” (CCC 2425.)
Study these so-called community organizations. Search their websites. This week we will publish a spreadsheet on the state by state locations of these organizations to help you find them in your diocese and inform others in the affected areas.
Peter L. Hodges Sr.